|Users by language|
I'm Nelson Ricardo. My parents immigrated to the U.S. from a small farming village in the municipality of Caldas da Rainha, Portugal. I was born and raised in Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, and have been living in Brooklyn for 20 years. I have a B.A. in economics from New York University (NYU). I have worked at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and at Columbia University.
Although European Portuguese is technically my "first language" and "mother tongue", American (New York City metro) English is my "native language", the one I best understand, speak, read, and write. If this doesn't make sense, reread the preceding paragraph.
I won't say how old I am, but the 1980s had the best music.
Background regarding username change
When I first created my Wikipedia account many moons ago, there were more limitations on usernames, so I ended up with Nricardo. I think I had typed it as nricardo, but the system decided that the first letter needed to be uppercase. Having an uppercase N but lowercase r has always bothered me. I tried changing it to my real name, but a steward at Meta decided that it was too close to an existing username, so I added some non-random numbers at the end.
- Caldas da Rainha — a city in Portugal
- Oeste — a region in Portugal
- Portugal — a country in southwestern Europe
- Portuguese phrasebook — a Portuguese-language primer for travellers
- Caldas da Rainha ⭐ – Featured on the Main Page as Off the Beaten Path in October 2016. Was promoted to Star article status in January 2021.
- Wikipedia:Portugal Expedition — Launched this collaboration project.
- Portugal — Many improvements throughout the country, region, and city articles.
- Portuguese cuisine — Started article and improved it to Guide status.
- Portuguese phrasebook — Added numerous pronunciations, added section explaining pseudo-phoneticization.
- Lisbon – Improved to Guide status.
- Lisbon Airport – Created article and improved it to Guide status.
- Porto – Improved to Guide status.
- Évora — Improved to Guide status.
- Serra da Estrela Natural Park — Created article and improved it to Usable status.
- Oeste – Created article for this Portuguese region and some of its municipalities:
- Alcobaça – Improved to Usable status.
- Alenquer – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Arruda dos Vinhos – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Bombarral – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Cadaval – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Lourinhã – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Nazaré – Improved to Usable status.
- Óbidos – Improved to Usable status.
- Peniche – Improved to Usable status.
- Sobral de Monte Agraço – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Torres Vedras – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Angra do Heroísmo – Started article and improved it to Usable status. One of the main cities of the Azores (Açores) lacked an article, so I fixed that.
- Covilhã — I started this article and improved it to Usable status. I can't imagine why we were missing this fascinating city.
- Matosinhos – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- Santarém – Started article and improved it to Usable status.
- ...and many more!
- Derry – I became interested in this Northern Irish city after watching Derry Girls.
- Margate – I became interested in this English seaside town after watching Edge of Heaven.
- Star articles – Replaced outdated static map with dynamic map.
- Southwest Brooklyn – My neighborhood.
Places I've been
These lists include places I visited but did not sleep in. Besides tourism, they include business trips and college study trips.
- Arizona — Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe
- California — San Francisco, San Diego, Palm Springs
- Connecticut — Hartford
- Florida — Miami Beach, Walt Disney World, Key West, Tallahassee, Boca Raton
- Illinois — Chicago
- Massachusetts — Boston
- New Jersey — Newark, Atlantic City, Long Beach Island
- Nevada — Las Vegas
- Texas — Dallas
- Washington, D.C.
- Wisconsin — Oshkosh
- Italy — Rome, Florence, Pisa, Pompeii
- Portugal — Caldas da Rainha, Lisbon, Óbidos, Nazaré, Peniche, Fátima and many others.
- Spain – Madrid, Seville, Granada, Córdoba
- Thailand — Bangkok
- London (again), plus more United Kingdom
- San Francisco (again)
- Porto and Coimbra, which I managed to miss on prior trips to Portugal
- Los Angeles
- Nashville, even though I'm not a huge country music fan. I don't seek it out, but I often enjoy it when I stumble across it. I do love Dolly Parton, though...
- And many more, but let's keep the list feasible...
- Caldas da Rainha – I managed to get it promoted to Good Article status. Perhaps one day I'll get it up to Featured articles quality...
- Edge of Heaven – 2014 British romantic sitcom that I've tried to improve.
- List of CHiPs episodes – created.
- Nav Sidhu – British actor that I discovered when watching the aforementioned Edge of Heaven
- Nick Hendrix – Actor in British Midsomer Murders, a British police detective drama TV series on ITV.
- Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics — created
- Servant of the People – Ukrainian political satire comedy television series available on Netflix. (Volodymyr Zelensky, the actor who portrayed the President of Ukraine, became the country's president in real life.)
- Comunidade Intermunicipal do Oeste – Region of Portugal. (created)
- Mystic Pizza – Film featuring Portuguese-American characters. (created)
- Caldas da Rainha – Created outline. I need to add listings and such...
Lingua Libre is a project of the association Wikimédia France which aims to build a collaborative, multilingual, audiovisual corpus under free licence. I have contributed numerous recordings (which are exported to Wikimedia Commons) in Portuguese. Many of these will be added to Wikivoyage's Portuguese phrasebook.